August 31, 2012

All Dressed Up and Nowhere To Go


Paintings by Mary Werner
August 30–October 31, 2012
Reception, Sunday, September 9, 2–4 pm
 
 
Werner says of her work, “The dress form has been my muse for almost 20 years. Nothing captures my imagination as much as that particular shape. I find it magical. I love the dress. I love that it symbolizes a uniquely feminine experience. It’s easily recognizable in its function and purpose. It describes a universal attitude as well as an individual person. The dress images are colorful, humorous, animated and symbolic. The dress reminds me of the female figure and sharply contrasts the endless racks of black pantsuits in the local clothing stores; the pantsuit has become the modern female uniform. A dress can be flirty and functional, dressy or ordinary. These paintings and drawings were inspired by a 1955 Montgomery Wards–Spring and Summer catalog, which describes each item with great detail, creating a scenario for each article of clothing as if to describe the person wearing it. Not only is that nostalgic but humorous.”

No comments: